You may wish to install safety equipment within your home, which may be required to host enterprise members.
Safety equipment includes:
- Smoke detectors: at a minimum, install a smoke detector/alarm on every level of the Codi. Test them once a month and replace the batteries at least once a year, if your model requires it.
- Carbon monoxide (CO) detectors: install one in the hallway of your Codi. Avoid corners where air does not circulate and follow the manufacturer’s instructions to test the carbon monoxide alarm every month.
- First aid kits
- Fire extinguishers
Here are other important tips to keep your Codi safe:
- Have heating systems, including chimneys and vents, inspected and serviced annually to check for blockages, corrosion, partial and complete disconnections
- Establish an emergency plan for your Codi—and make sure it’s easily accessible to all members. Your plan should include two ways to escape from every room in your home and the contact information for local emergency services. Select a meeting spot at a safe distance from your Codi where your members can meet after a fire.
- Make sure all appliances in your home are installed according to manufacturer’s instructions and local building codes. Most appliances should be installed by professionals.
We recommend you to visit www.redcross.org/homefires for more information.